Thursday, January 25, 2007

36 hours awake and ...

Still going. Luca has been resting soundly in our room. It's also nice to have great and attentive hospital staff to hand him off to should we get tired. - could see where we'll miss that in the future. Toni is having a great experience with very good pain management, especially when you consider that she went through surgery today.

As for me? I'm in a state combining exhaustion and elation. I still can't believe he's here. He scored off the charts in some damn assessment of child viability they conducted in the nursery after his birth. I'm too tired to remember the name of the test. Sorry about that. Maybe one of you recent moms can post it here and tell us what the test is about.

From my point of view, the whole thing just seems to make so much sense. It feels so right. I'm really comfortable with the huge responsibilities of being a Dad. Perhaps thats a sign of how exhausted I really am

Jim

6 comments:

Lisa P. said...

Hey Jim--
I believe the name of the test is called the Apgar score--it's an assessment they do after 1 min. and 5 min. post-birth that looks at his skin color, breathing, response to stimuli, etc.. He must have gotten a perfect "10"! (that's the highest number of points you can get; in contrast, since Ava came out a little blue and needed oxygen, she only scored a 5 or 6 on the 1 min. assessment, but got up to a 9 at 5 min.)
Hope your both getting as much rest as you possibly can while you have a "staff"--when do they boot you out of there???

wendyo said...

Jim, I'm SO happy for you and Toni and Luca!

kelly said...

So, where's the pics, Bro? Love you guys!
-Aunt Kelly

tomg said...

Apgar test! That's such great news! Send pics!!

Unknown said...

Dear Jim,

So happy to hear that baby Luca and mamma Toni are doing well. Can't wait to see some pictures posted!

Try and get some sleep.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you all. My guys were born on the 24 and 26 so Luca fits right in!!!!! Cole's middle name is also James. Good minds think alike. I am so happy that we are home with phones and reliable internet service. I was going crazy not knowing what was happening. You are such a beautiful blessed family and I can't wait to hug you all in person. Get some rest. I will call soon. Much Love, Christina and Boys xoxoxo